Call for Pickup (612) 672-0434
Colonial Rug Cleaning and carpet cleaning by professionals for your Antique Oriental Rug that is hand knotted or wool rugs at Colonial Rug Cleaning. Our rug cleaning services include rug and carpet cleaning, our own pet odor soak tank for removal of pet stains, rug appraisal for only $75 and rug repair. Our Show Room and Rug Cleaning has moved to the Oliver Press Building
at 5707 W 36th ST in St Louis Park by the Burlington Coat Factory.
The Show Room is Open
Monday thru Friday from 12 to 5 and Saturday 11 to 5 and Sunday by
appointment for you to drop off your rug cleaning.
So Easy to get to...
Just a short drive to Colonial Rug Cleaning Show Room and yet it feels like just around the corner.
If you have never had your Oriental rugs professionally cleaned, you have a whole new experience coming that is very hard to explain to some one that has never had it done before.
Rug Cleaning Services
- Deep Cleaning
- Extra Deep Clean with Urine Removal
- Extreme Deep Clean for Problem Rugs
- Rug Id &
- Rug Repairs
- Pickup and Delivery
Stop by and visit our new location in St Louis Park at 5707 west 36th St by the Burlington Coat Factory
Yes we clean carpets and rugs...
Didn't think you could get that pet odor out? We Can !! Now your carpet can be soaked in the soaking tank to remove those Cat and Dog Urine Odors for a slight additional cost. It will give your rug or carpet that clean as spring air.
We have three types of cleaning.
Deep Clean, Extra Deep Clean with urine removal and Extreme Deep Clean.
- Our Deep Clean rates are very reasonable at only $3.00 per square foot. This includes pickup and delivery in the greater Minneapolis / St Paul, MN twin city area.
- Our Extra Deep Clean with urine removal rates are very reasonable at only $4.00 per square foot. This includes pickup and delivery in the greater Minneapolis / St Paul, MN twin city area.
- Our Extreme Deep Clean is just what you need for cleaning those problem rugs that are heavily soiled and/or stained at only $6.00 per square foot. This includes pickup and delivery in the greater Minneapolis / St Paul, MN twin city area.
Call now for pickup!! (612) 672-0434
Rug Cleaning Special for 2019
25 % discount on the above rates when pre paid
Discount only applies on rugs of 300 sq ft or more
Pickup or Delivery
Want to save even more on your cleaning?
Just bring in your rug to our store and you will save $.50 per square foot when prepaid. Then return in about 2-3 weeks and pick it up.
Rug ID & Value Estimates are $75.00
Cleaning & Care Tips....
Maintaining the beauty of your Oriental Rugs
Vacuum your Oriental rugs regularly, being sure to go back and forth in the same direction over the entire rug (avoiding the fringes). If you are vacuuming with a beater brush, we suggest you set the brush so it just touches the top of the pile and moves easily across the rug. When vacuuming with a carpet tool, ease the suction of the vacuum by adjusting it accordingly. Be sure to periodically vacuum the back of the rug.
Rotate your Oriental Rugs as often as possible (1-2 years), when you notice the high traffic areas of your rug starting to look dirty, or the nap has lost its original direction or shape. Rotating your rugs will allow them to wear more evenly, maintaining their original appearance and value. Also, rotate your rugs according to the amount of direct sunlight. Over time direct sunlight can fade the dyes of your rugs.
Padding will stabilize and protect your Oriental Rugs shape, enhancing the value and making your Rugs safer to walk on. We have investigated many different types and qualities of padding. For hard floor surfaces we recommend Blue Miracle Grip manufactured by Rug Hold Company and Durahold manufactured by No-Muv Company. On top of wall-to-wall carpeting we recommend No-Muv. If you are interested in purchasing padding.
Certain stains such as coffee, colas, juices, animal, medicines, milk, foods and certain dyes must be spotted immediately for best results.
First remove any solid materials from the area and then immediately blot the area with a clean Turkish towel. To neutralize the spot, blot with club soda or a mix of half-white vinegar and cold water. Repeat this if necessary and blot again to remove most of the moisture. A moderate amount of rug cleaning detergent is also recommended. Do not rub the spot. Some Oriental Rug dyes can bleed upon contact with liquids. Before the area dries you should comb the pile so that it blends with the rest of the rug. If the stain is caused by a non-emergency situation such as tar or dirt, a cleaning fluid similar to Afta is a great and easy-to-use product for eliminating hard to remove stains. For removing most dirt stains, a rug detergent similar to Stain-X seems to get the job done. A Turkish towel or toothbrush can be used to blot the area. Again, do not rub the spot. After blotting, follow the directions we mentioned above.
If you cannot seem to remove a stain, or if you notice that the area you have spot cleaned appears cleaner than the rest of your rug, it may be time to consult a reputable Oriental Rug cleaning specialist.
Oriental Rug Cleaning Specialists
Cleaning your Oriental Rugs properly enhances their look and value. To select an Oriental Rug cleaning specialist, you many want to contact your dealer and ask for their recommendation. From our experience in the twin cities area and overseas, most carpet and wall-to-wall cleaning companies do not specialize in the cleaning of Oriental Rugs. If you decide to try to clean your own Oriental Rugs, you should be totally familiar with the process and be sure to test the dyes first. After receiving a rug from cleaning, you may notice some white areas. Dirt is good at covering up worn areas on your rug. You should discuss your options with your Oriental Rug dealer or weaver.
Restoration & Repair
When considering having a rug repaired, evaluate the cost of the repair to the value and your personal attachment to the rug. Only allow a reputable and knowledgeable craftsman/weaver to restore or repair your Oriental Rugs. The most common repairs are re-fringing and over-rounding the sides.
Ideas for maintaining & improving the look of your rugs:
- If the fringe is uneven, the edges can be trimmed.
- If parts of your rug are curled, steaming will usually alleviate the problem. We suggest steaming with an iron over a clean, damp Turkish towel. Be careful to keep the iron moving over the
towel and not to touch the iron directly on the rug. Also, be sure to consider the flooring and padding underneath your rug.
- If your rug buckles, a blocking/stretching process could improve the rug's shape. We would suggest trying to steam the back of the rug, first before having it blocked. If you then decide to have your rug blocked, before proceeding you should discuss the process with your Oriental Rug dealer.
- If the pile/nap of your rug is indented or laying the wrong way, steaming (with an iron as mentioned before) the areas should neutralize the pile and greatly improve your rug's appearance. Before the area dries, be sure to comb the pile to blend with rest of the rug. When the area is dry, the nap should be laying in its natural direction.
- If you plan to store your Oriental Rugs, we suggest having
them cleaned, wrapped in brown Kraft-paper, and covered with a waterproof material. Rodents and moths are a primary concern, so it is advisable to include moth flakes and keep your rug in a dry area above ground.
- Moths and carpet beetles can destroy an Oriental Rug. Check the edges and area of your rug under furniture for any infestation. Act immediately if you see any bugs or eggs. You will probably need to have your entire house sprayed
and all wool rugs cleaned. Check your wool clothes if there is a problem.